Review | Wonderland the Musical at MK Theatre

Ever since I went to London with my mum a few years ago to see 'whatever was on' and got tickets for Jersey Boys, I've been a fan of musical theatre. I really don't go as much as I wish I could because let's face it, it's not a cheap hobby, so I was thrilled when I received an email from MK Theatre to see if I want to attend the opening night of Wonderland the Musical, it was a no brainer.



Before watching the show we were invited along to have a backstage tour led by the Company Stage Manager, Alex Adamson, a pre show Q & A with the lead actress, Kerry Ellis, and pre-show drinks in the Ambassador's Lounge alongside other members of press.

In the past when watching shows, I've spent a lot of time admiring the stage and wondering just what goes on behind the scenes to make it all come together and while we found out that a lot of it is very technical (kilometres and kilometres of electrical cable and over 2000 lights that have to be lugged around between shows) there is also some very simple, old school techniques used as well, they use levers and pulleys shhhh! I really enjoyed seeing the wardrobe area and seeing how the clothes are all laid out ready for quick changes, the fastest change in this show is 11 seconds, I don't think I'd even get trousers on in that time!



 I haven't watched the film of Alice in Wonderland for a very long time so I wasn't one hundred percent  sure on what to expect from this show, but what I can is that I was transported into a world like nothing I have ever seen before.

The story follows grown up Alice and her daughter Ellie living in slight role reversal, Alice being the vulnerable child like character and Ellie the grown up wise one, until Ellie follows the white rabbit 'down the rabbit hole' and Alice is forced to follow her, along with her neighbour Jack. Alice and the gang are transported to the magical and strange world that is Wonderland, where they meet all the characters you would expect from the original sotry including the Cheshire Cat, the Tweedles and the Mad Hatter.

Along the way they face some challenges such as differing advice, a Mad Hatter on a power trip, a Queen that wants to chop off everyone's heads and the whole sing and dance that comes in between. After all the madness has ensued Alice and Ellie come to the realisation that they want to go back to the real world and that it isn't as bad as it seemed in the beginning.

I really enjoyed the show and it created a real sense of escapism, giving you the chance to get away from the real world for a couple of hours. I also think there are a lot of messages that can be taken away with you at the end of the show and for that reason, one of my favourite songs has to be 'This Is Who I Am' performed by Kerry Ellis and Natalie McQueen as Alice and the Mad Hatter. Other stand out songs for me were 'Through the Looking Glass' and 'Finding Wonderland'. The three words used by Kerry Ellis to describe the show were bonkers, lovable and fun and after seeing the show, I can see exactly where she was coming from.



Having started it's tour around Christmas time, Wonderland is soon coming to an end with around 5 weeks to go and only a few days left in Milton Keynes. The show is in town until 22nd July and you can still buy tickets here so be sure to check it out.

Have you seen Wonderland the Musical?

Sophie xxx

*I was invited to watch the show by MK Theatre in return for a review, but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1 comment:

  1. Love this write up Sophie and your backstage pictures and info. I wrote a ton of notes to remember these facts and I didn't see you write any so your memory must be impeccable! It's a fantastic show.
    Jaz xoxo
    http://www.thelifeofasocialbutterfly.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top