Baking | Easter Nest Cupcakes


I'm very pleased to be branching out and writing my first baking post here on my blog, what better time to do it than Easter? In previous years I've just done simple old no baking involved rice crispie nests, but this year I thought I would mix it up a little. This quick and easy recipe is one I found on the BBC Good Food website and made my own adaptations for the decoration on top.

Ingredients: 
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1.5tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter (room temperature)
120ml whole milk
1 egg
0.25tsp vanilla extract

Method:
1)  Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3
2) Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a free standing electric mixer with paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
3) Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture, beat to combine and turn the mixer up to a high speed (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Add the rest of the liquid mixture and continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not over mix.
4) Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in a preheated over for 20-25 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.   

Now comes the fun part, to save time I did this whilst the cupcakes were in the oven, melt a bar of chocolate (I used Dairy Milk) in a bowl over boiling water whilst crumbling up Shredded Wheat, remove the melted chocolate from the heat and mix in the Shredded Wheat.

Cover a tray in greaseproof paper and spoon the mixture onto the tray in rounds about the size of the top of the cupcake and place eggs of your choice on top, place the tray into the fridge to allow the chocolate to set.

Once the cupcakes are completely cooled and the nests completely set spoon a small amount of frosting onto the centre of the cupcake (I used Betty Crocker vanilla frosting with cocoa powder mixed in but you can use any frosting over even make your own butter icing), place the nest on top pushing down carefully so not to break it. Repeat this for all cupcakes until complete.

Sorry for such a waffled recipe post but I hope you'll feel inspired to make your own. I'm really impressed with how these turned out, simple but effective.

Have you done any Easter baking?

Sophie xxx

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having a chocolate nest on top of a cupcake! Its like having two treats in one.
    I did some easter baking myself this morning, I made mini egg brownies :)

    Happy Easter!

    www.shanaliexo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this twist on the usual chocolate nests! I am a massive cupcake fan! Is it bad to say I haven't even tried the Galaxy Golden Eggs?! I feel as if I'm missing out! Happy Easter Sophie! xx

    www.iridescentplaces.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah these look incredible! I wish I baked.. It's so fun and therapeutic but I've only ever made buns from those packs in supermarkets, no effort required really! Xx
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm know I'm reading this post a bit late as it's not easter anymore but these look amazing!
    Charlotte // www.charlottespicks.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top