My Running Journey

When I first started my blog, I said that it would mainly be beauty posts and up to this point that is all it has been, until today. As it is becoming quite a big part of my life now, I decided I wanted to share my running journey with you all.


Last July I joined a running club that was started up by a local man who had been looking for a club to join, I managed to start at the club on it's first week which was quite good as everyone was in the same boat and I never had to be the newbie. Joining the running club, I considered myself a beginner, I used to be on the cross country team at school but since then I hadn't really done any running.



I was attending the club every Monday evening and struggling round at a run/walk pace. I felt so slow compared to some of the others in the club, but the fact I was out trying instead of sitting at home doing nothing made me feel so much better. As the weeks went by I could see my distance slowly going up and also my time slowly going down. As the group was started through Facebook, I started to add some people as friends and then a few of us started meeting during the week to go for extra runs. 

I could really start to feel an improvement and started to look out for 5k's that could enter, I managed to find a local one but kept debating with myself whether I'd actually be able to do it and by the time I finally decided to sign up it was full, I was pretty gutted. About a week before the race one of the ladies from my club told me her friend could no longer do it so they contacted the organisers and found out I was able to do it in her place. So on the 27th September I took part in the Hitchin 5k Road Race and finished with a time of 34:28, knocking a whole 4 minutes off my previous personal best!

In November, I took part in another 5k, I became a 'Morunner' where a certain amount of the entry fee goes towards the Movember charity. This was a tough race for me because it was only about 2 degrees Celsius and I wasn't used to running in such a low temperature, I can't remember my exact time but it was around the 38 minute mark.

In December, we had a Christmas social for the running club and we were told there were going to be a couple of awards to give out. As it was our first social we only had two awards, a Runner of the Month award for November and a Runner of the Year award. I was absolutely thrilled to win the Runner of the Year award because of how far I had come in the 5 months, I really couldn't believe it. If someone had told me at the beginning of 2015 that I was going to run two 5k's and win a running award, I would have laughed in their face.


My 2016 running goals;
- Run a sub 30 minute 5k
- Complete a 10k race
- Run a total of at least 250 miles (I did around 72 miles in 5 months in 2015)

Let me know in the comments if you enjoyed this different type of post.

Sophie xx

5 comments:

  1. That's so amazing! Well done you : ) I started running around this time last year - it's more circuits with running and weights combined but I would like to do a lot more running. I haven't run properly in a few weeks now because of the weather and being back in uni, but think I will tomorrow. Thanks for the motivation!! : ) xx

    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw this is absolutely amazing well done!! Such a great achievement, you must be so proud of yourself. You have real dedication and determination, I wish I could be this motivated. I'm crap and lazy when it comes to exercise, but I've recently started the gym, you have inspired me to stick at it and who knows, maybe in 5 months like you I can really see progress! xxx
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's incredible! I'm glad you're sharing your running journey on your blog, this post is really inspirational. It also made me realise how much I miss running - I'm currently doing a workout everyday but it's just not the same, I really want to go back to going running at least twice a week. x

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have done so well, I really wish I could find a club like this, I hate running alone, and I am so bad at it its actually funny lol.

    well done on doing so well in 2015 though, im sure you'll achieve your goal for 2016 :)

    http://www.makeerinover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, this is your blog. You can write about anything you want to! Personally, as much as I love beauty blogs, I get bored with them after a while. I love it when the blogger will switch it up every once in a while and write about more personal things, or other things they like/enjoy. I wish that I could run! I have a medical condition that prevents me from running. At first I was misdiagnosed with asthma, but even when I would use my inhaler, I would still lose my breath, turn blue and pass out. My body loves it, and I feel like I could physically keep going, but just can't breathe. Looks like you are doing pretty awesome for a beginner! Way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top